Monday, March 21, 2011

Dinner Gone Wrong

I'm not bragging or anything, but yesterday's dinner was awful! First, timing was way off because of how I decided to cook the chicken. So what should have been served together was served separately.

Course one started out as pasta with a side of sauteed broccoli and onion. I decided to get creative and wanted to attempt a cream sauce. I happened to have an open box of potato flour, and thought I could use that to start a roux. Please note, I knew this was an experiment. Well, it seemed more like potato soup than a roux. I kept trying to thin it out. It tasted ok, but not what I had intended. I then mixed together the vegetables, pasta, sauce, and topped it with some fake mozzarella. It looked edible. It seemed edible. My husband's response was he wasn't sure if he liked it or not. For me it, it was ok, but for the fake mozzarella. As a result, I was nauseous for the next three hours. This happened last time I had the fake cheese, so I'm pretty sure it was that and not the pasta dish. However, I don't think I'll be in a rush to make it again. It was very starchy between the potato flour and rice noodles (I hate to think how many calories went into making this less than tasty dish).

The second dish was just baked chicken. This is so simple, how could it go wrong, right? Well, I thought I'd cook it in the bakeware my in-laws bought me that I've only used a few times before to make brisket. Its meant for long, slow cooking either on the stove-top or in the oven. That should have been my first clue. Secondly, my husband loves lemon. So I cup up a lemon and put it in- with the rind on. It worked in a different dish, but apparently long and slow leaves an aftertaste of lemon rind. What should have been an hour took almost three, and what should have been fragrant and flavorful was bland but for an after-taste that stuck with my husband for hours.

So dinner left me nauseous and my husband with a bad taste in his mouth. Gee, how can I top that tonight?!

No comments:

Post a Comment