Saturday, March 26, 2011

Staying Right Where I Am

Let me clarify some things regarding my prior post.  I do enjoy being home and very much appreciate the time I have with my daughter.  However, I miss being seen as more than just a mommy.  When I meet new people, no one asks what I did before I had her.  Its as if time is divided.  Once I had her, part of me was put on a shelf. 

My grandmother gets a kick out of the fact that I now cook, and enjoy it.  When I was about 14, I said I didn't want to cook or bake, and wanted a house-husband.  I didn't think I was going to be Miss Career-Woman, but knew I wanted to be a lawyer, and was not particularly good at baking (nor did I like to clean my bedroom).  Now I'd just be happy with a little house-hold help.

Most of the time I'm right where I want to be.  But there are times when I see my former self and miss that confidence and pride doing what I did, using a different part of my brain.  I miss getting dressed and being put together.  Nothing is stopping me now from that except myself.  Sleep deprivation, wanting to be comfortable, needing to wear washable versus dry-cleanable clothes, are but a few reasons.  And if its just the two of us all day, who cares if I have makeup on?  (Well, only my mother who believes one shouldn't leave the house without lipstick.)  So on days when I get to blow dry my hair, spend a few minutes on my make-up, and wear something more than just a t-shirt or casual sweater, I feel better.  I know these are only surface things, but they do give me a boost.  With that said, time to go watch some cartoons with my Allergy Babe.

No comments:

Post a Comment