Sunday, March 13, 2011

Trade offs

Once upon a time I practiced law. As part of my job, I negotiated settlements. Now, I use those skills to negotiate with my toddler. That's right...my kid would do most lawyers proud. Today it was to get her to eat some meat and potatoes for lunch in exchange for a juice box. Other days its eating something or else the t.v. goes off. OK, that's not so much a negotiation as a threat. Whatever it takes, right?

The past few nights she has had no interest in what I've made for dinner. Somehow she still winds up with french fries and hot dogs. Tomorrow I will renew my effort to get her to eat dinner. Part of the recent problem, and greater willingness to cave on my part, is she's been sick. We almost had another trip to the ER Friday night.

Its pretty much Murphy's Law that she gets sick when the doctor's office is closed. She was just easing into a cold in the morning, and by the time her breathing was much more labored, despite giving her the inhaler, the doctor's office was closed. We watched her with bated breath, listening to her breath and moan in her sleep during a late nap. She eventually woke up as if nothing was wrong, although still having a little wheeze. Tonight there is the occasional bronchial cough, but otherwise she is so much better.

In case you were hoping for another recipe, here's the easiest Crockpot chicken dish. It took me three minutes or less to assemble. You may spend more time opening the jar then anything else.

Chicken Marinara
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup jarred marinara
1 cup water

1. Mix the water and marina
2. Place the chicken in the slow cooker, pour the water/marinara mix over the chicken.
3. Cook on high heat for 5 hours.
4. Serve over pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment