Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ratatouille

I'm trying to be good again regarding diet and exercise.  I went on hiatus, sort of, while we were having work done on our basement.  Granted, there was nothing stopping me from using our WII Fit or doing an On Demand workout, but I really didn't want our two very nice contractors to hear me stomping about (or heavens forbid, come upstairs and witness it).  So I've started logging on to myfitnesspal.com.  Its a slow start for me because I haven't been 100% committed, and have had a few days where it was difficult to track what I was eating.  However, I am trying to encourage my husband and mother-in-law to do this, so now I feel I need to step up my game.  So today I've logged in all my calories and been good.  Yes, the night isn't over, but other than having a glass of water, the kitchen is closed to me. 

Tomorrow I intend to go to the gym.  The plus is that I plan to shower there after my workout.  Rather than go home, try to get the Babe to cooperate so I can rush a shower, I can take my time while she is being watched at the Kiddie Korral.  A hot, uninterrupted shower is all the incentive I need to get my rear out the door tomorrow. 

In light of my new goals, I attempted to make a hearty, healthy dinner.  I finally found eggplant, which is both scarce and expensive around here allegedly due to the winter freeze in Florida.  So on the menu tonight was Tarragon-Lime Chicken, corn pasta, and Ratatouille.  Here's the recipe for the Ratatouille.

Ratatouille
1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion sliced
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 medium-large eggplant, peeled and cubed
2 medium zucchini, peeled and sliced into half moons
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
3 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp dried Oregano
1 tsp dried Thyme
1/4- 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 Cup water

1. Heat oil in a large pot, then saute onion until translucent (5-10 minutes).
2. Add vegetables, garlic, and spices.  Stir and let heat through for a minute.  Add water.  Cover. 
3. Keep on medium heat for first half hour (or until boils), then lower heat, and cook covered for another 1 1/2 hours.  Stir occasionally.
* Total cooking time will be 2 hours.You will start out with high volume, but as it cooks, the vegetables will become softer and volume will go down in half.  The longer you let it cook, the more flavorful it will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment