Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pro-Active Measures

I just read about another Allergy Mom's experience with her daughter's recent reaction to food that had a trace amount of peanuts.  Here's her story: http://averageallergymom.blogspot.com/.  It is a reminder how easily a reaction can happen. 

The longer we live this lifestyle, you go from being hyper-vigilant, to sometimes falling into a false sense of safety.  For example, when I drop the Babe off at the Kiddie Koral, I sometimes forget until I'm just about out the door to give them her Benadryl and Epi-pens.  Please note, I've never left them without it.  Wherever the Babe goes, those go too.  I'm still in the building, and we've been there so many times, which is probably why this has happened.  However, timing is very important.  If she were to have a reaction, by the time they could locate me in the gym or locker room, to getting the meds out of a locked locker (assuming I remember how to open it in a panic) and getting it to her could be several minutes that are needed to fight a reaction.  Minutes are everything when fighting an allergic reaction, and there is no excuse for a delay.  Children who have food allergies should always have their medication with them.  It scares me when I hear of parents who don't carry an epi-pen everywhere for their allergic child (or in one case, never bothered to fill the prescription). 

If I'm being preachy, its just the facts as I know it.  And if you read the linked article, you'll realize how much parents of food allergic children have to watch, as well as be their child's advocate with medical professionals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment