Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dinner Win

I previously mentioned trying to cook with curry. This is something new to me, but I'm finding more and more recipes within our restricted diet that are of Indian origin . I should mention that I grew up where onions and garlic were rarely used due to stomach sensitivities both my father and sister have. Once I got married, my then-new husband expressed how bland my cooking was (and I can now admit, not too good in general). I soon learned to cook with more flavor, although would like to incorporate even more.

Yesterday I caught one of the many shows I've DVR'd (can you guess what type of programming is usually watched in our house?!) which was about making Beef Vindaloo. It was by Aarti Sequeira of the Food Network, and her descriptions of the smells made it very tempting. I followed the general cooking process she used with minor alterations, but changed the spices based on what I had in the house. Also, I've never toasted spices before, so not ready to (one day though). The results were good. My daughter didn't even want to taste it, but once she had that first taste, she ate. And from my husband, when asked what I should change if anything, he responded that he would have liked more sauce. That recipe then is a winner to me.

Beef Curry
1 medium sweet onion, sliced
1-2 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cumin
1/3 cup vinegar
1-1.5 lbs stew meat
1 cup water
salt

1. Saute onions in oil until translucent, about 10 minutes. While cooking, in a cup or small bowl, mix dried spices except salt with vinegar.
2. Pour vinegar-spice mixture over cooked onions, let simmer for 2 minutes on medium-high, stirring frequently. *Warning: do not stand directly over pan, as you may inhale vinegar fumes.
3. Add stew meat, mix together with onion/spice mix. Brown beef for about 5-7 minutes.
4. Add water to pan. Add salt (about 1/4 tsp). Let mixture reach a boil, then cover and cook on low for 45 minutes.
5. Partially remove cover, cook for another 10-15 minutes to let the sauce thicken, stirring occasionally. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment