Friday, May 20, 2011

Entertaining

I like to entertain.  No, I don't make animals out of linen napkins.  I just like to have company, and make sure they are well fed.  Now that we have a different eating lifestyle, I especially like to entertain to show first off that I can cook decently (hopefully my guests feel its better than decent), and secondly, that you can have "normal" food despite all the missing ingredients.  I opt to show how good the food can be even though we aren't eating dairy, eggs, or gluten. 

Today I had a girlfriend over with her one-year-old son.  For lunch we had chicken breasts, oven roasted potatoes, green been casserole (and no, there was no cream soup base), and chocolate chip cookies.  This would qualify for a nice dinner here too, but I like to feed whoever comes over, no matter the time of day.  I couldn't help but brag that the casserole was totally from scratch, and the cookies had no wheat or eggs or dairy.  She still indicated she enjoyed it all, and couldn't tell the difference.

The other benefit to having company is that our house is clean.  It was her first time over at this house, so of course had to give the tour.  That meant that the upstairs bathrooms I put off cleaning and piles of laundry that needed to be put away got taken care of.  Now I can enjoy the afternoon without thinking I need to do something.  Well, ok, the lunch dishes are in the sink, but they'll get done before dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment