Monday, May 23, 2011

A Little White Lie

The great thing about toddlers is that they generally will believe what you tell them.  Now, I'm not encouraging lying to one's child.  But bending the truth sometimes can be a good thing.  Like when my sister told my eldest nephew that he was eating "chicken-fish".  He hated fish, but somehow didn't mind fishsticks, hence "chicken-fish".  So when we finished our basement, somehow the t.v. down there doesn't get any of the channels that play children's programming.  It gets cable, but somehow (wink-wink) only "Mommy and Daddy" shows play on it.  The reason was that the basement is meant for her to play in and be creative.  I didn't want us to spend money on a recreational area for her just to have her space out in front of a t.v., which she could do elsewhere in the house.  So now that she has her big girl bed, I don't want to spend time in our bedroom watching t.v. before bed.  Again, miraculously, our bedroom t.v. no longer plays her shows either.  I don't know how this lie will work when I need to bribe her while I take a shower (didn't think that far ahead), but I can live with that if it means no more t.v. before bed for her.

And speaking of beds,  the new bed is working out.  The princess didn't go searching for the pea, and has now had 2 nights in it (well, 1 1/2- I'll explain in a moment), and a nap.  Yesterday she got worn out running around outside, plus an early morning wake up, so she took a great nap.  Then, I got her to fall asleep in her bed, and she stayed asleep despite loud thunder and lightening that felt like it shook our house several times.  Around 3 a.m. she woke up, but only because she leaked through her diaper.  For that reason only, she spent the rest of the night in my bed.  Otherwise, I would have stayed with her till she fell back asleep.  Her sheets and mattress pad are now being washed, hopefully in time for a nap today.  Now, perhaps its time to wear her out by running around in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment