Saturday, May 7, 2011

Vegan Lasagna

Tonight's dinner was a mouthful.  Yes, the food itself, but the title, too.  I made Gluten-Free Basil Tofu Ricotta Lasagna.  The recipe is from Veganomican, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.  I used non-bake rice noodles, made faux ricotta with tofu and basil, sauteed some spinach, and assembled it all with bottled tomato sauce.  Now it may not sound particularly appetizing to those who haven't tried tofu, but it was in fact very good.  It was fascinating to see how a block of tofu could eventually resemble ricotta.  It was also fun to put it all together.  My husband tried to convince his mother over the phone that it tasted like regular lasagna, but she will unlikely try it if I were to make it again.  And based on my husband's and my taste, it will be made again. 

Afterwards, we had a treat.  My in-laws gave us a juicer that we finally tried out.  This was mostly my husband's work tonight, so he deserves the credit.  With the Babe's and my limited assistance, he made a combination of orange, apple, mango, and pineapple juice.  Delish!  Two new menu items, two successes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment