Thursday, May 26, 2011

Stomp Those Feet

Its funny how you see certain behaviors are passed down through generations.  Its not just the color of one's eyes, or food likes and dislikes.  While visiting my grandmother today with the Babe, my lovely daughter did something that was definitely a trait she comes by honestly.  With complete knowledge, she is at least the fourth generation of female in my family to stomp her foot.  As soon as my grandmother saw the Babe do this, my grandmother looked at me chagrined and asked if I knew where she got this from.  I knew immediately who she meant- herself.  However, the person I saw do it the most was my mother.  Particularly when she was cooking and wanted us out of the kitchen.  It was a sign of true frustration. 

And it didn't skip a generation.  Granted, I haven't done this in a long time.  However, when I first started cooking for my husband, I didn't have a vast area of experience in the kitchen.  He was used to his family all working around each other in the kitchen, whereas my mother would often ask us to get out.  So when my husband would hover, and by hover, I mean two feet from me, peering over my shoulder or into the hot oven while I was trying to figure something, I would request he go away.  By go away, just out of my peripheral vision.  And he felt that I had to get used to him being in the kitchen with me.  I don't know how this was useful in any way if he was only standing there sticking his nose in things, so inevitably I would stomp my foot and point him in the opposite direction.  His response was that I shouldn't be like my mother.  Ok, my Mom isn't too thrilled by this, I'm sure.  [Don't worry, Mom, this is only in reference to the foot stomping- apparently its annoying to him.]  However, he knew that she liked to have her kitchen to herself, and he liked to "share" the kitchen.  Eventually, I got over the stomping, and used to him being in arms reach...most of the time.  And we can work side by side in the kitchen very nicely.  Its just that if I'm in the middle of cooking, and you're not assisting, please get your nose out of what I'm doing. 

So, while I don't think the Babe has witnessed my foot stomping, she has beautifully mastered it on her own.

No comments:

Post a Comment