Monday, May 9, 2011

Riding a See-Saw

One of my favorite scenes from the movie, Parenthood, is when the grandmother describes life as a rollercoaster.  Well , I prefer to think of today as a see-saw.  Constant ups and downs in the moods and moments of my toddler. 

After weeks of being unable to attend, we finally made it back to the gym.  From her surgery, then holiday closures, to then illness, we missed several weeks.  Finally, we got there.  The Babe was happy to play with her friends, and when I came to pick her up, she ran to me ready to go (but clearly after having enjoyed herself).  This was her first outing (other than to Target) since she got sick one week ago.  Afterwards, she wanted to go up and down the hill that is adjacent to the building- just like Jack and Jill.  No really, we referenced that as we climbed up, with thankfully no injuries to crowns nor any tumbling down after.  She then played in the dirt a bit with sticks and bare hands (yippee!). 

All was fine and well, until it was time to get to the car.  She opted to stand in the middle of the parking lot, and after about five minutes, and thankfully no cars, I got her into the car.  It didn't end there.  She wouldn't get into her car seat, and did the body lock to prove it.  She wanted to "snuggle" with me- hence sippee cup, her on my lap, sitting in the back seat of my car for several minutes.  Finally, that was it, and she was forcibly put into her seat.  Five minutes home with a wailing child, not so fun. 

Then everything was fine...until what I loosely call nap-time.  That is because I do not rely on her actually taking a nap anymore.  It is the time of day I wish and hope she takes one.  This did not happen.  I told her if she did not nap, no more t.v. for the rest of the day.  That meant attempting to entertain with art supplies, except most wound up on the floor, and she wanted me to color for her.  I ignored both.  Next came dinner prep.  She now wants to help in the kitchen, but doesn't quite follow all instructions (like staying out of drawers).  I gave her some sliced up carrots to nibble.  That started out fine, until carrots and raw zucchini had been chewed and spit out in various places in my kitchen.  I was most definitely screaming...in my head, because it would not have been productive at that moment.  While trying to handle raw chicken, and then eventually sauteing it in hot oil, I still tried to keep her moderately entertained.  Finally, she requested that we snuggle and that she wanted to go upstairs to sleep.  I told her to go lay down in the living room or go up to her room.  Well, wouldn't you know it.  Just as dinner had just finished cooking, she fell asleep on the couch.  I had been watching from a distance as her eyes drifted closed.  Well, I carried her to bed, then ate dinner in peace, and now I get to go clean up macerated carrot bits from my kitchen floor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment